Wireless Access FAQs
What are the wireless offerings on campus?
Wireless Network eduroam
- This is the primary wireless service used on campus.
- Holds on Unity ID and password locally, allowing your device to join automatically. With this option, you don’t have to re-enter credentials every time a user logs in.
- All traffic that passes through is encrypted, this allows this wireless service to be MORE secure.
Wireless Network ncsu
- This is also known as the Nomad network.
- This network should only be used for miscellaneous devices such as gaming consoles, smart TVs, multimedia devices, etc.
- This network can also be used for departmental owned equipment such as lab machines and loaned equipment.
- You must re-enter credentials every time a user connects to this network. The work around is to register your devices in Nomad Registration System.
What is the difference between the eduroam and ncsu wireless networks?
- eduroam is our primary, secured wireless network on campus. Most laptops, tablets, phones should use eduroam.
- Miscellaneous devices- such as gaming consoles and multimedia devices – should connect to the unsecured wireless network ncsu.
What about cellular coverage?
- Any questions regarding your phone’s cellular service should be directed to your cellular provider and not to ComTech.
- Information about cellular coverage can be found here.
What areas of campus have wireless coverage?
- Student Residences
- All on-campus residence halls, Greek houses, Wolf Village, and Wolf Ridge have pervasive, high-density coverage.
- Academic and Administrative Buildings
- Pervasive wireless coverage is available in most spaces. Faculty/staff can access wireless maps showing what areas are covered.
- Virtually all “110” classrooms have high-density wireless infrastructure designed to allow faculty to use the wireless network for instructional purposes.
- A small number of “210” classrooms are similarly equipped.
- For a list of classrooms with instructional wireless, see Classroom List.
How do departments request wireless coverage?
- Some areas are not currently covered by wireless. Departments may elect to have ComTech install wireless access points in these areas as needed.
- Contact your Department Coordinator to place a Construction Services order for Wireless Access Points via PCR360 Customer Center.
Help & Support
Faculty & Staff
- Help Desk
- Email. email@example.com.
- Call. 919.515.HELP.
- Local IT Support
- Please reach out to your designated local IT Support.